Egg retrieval at Mitosis fertilization clinic
The egg retrieval takes place 34 to 36 hours after administration of hCG. The hCG contributes to oocyte maturation and to its release from the inside walls of the follicle.
The egg retrieval:
- is carried out using ultrasound needle guided by a driver who is attached to the head of vaginal ultrasound,
- is usually completed in 10 to 20 minutes, during which the patient is under light analgesia or anesthesia.
The aspirated oocytes are placed in special tubes, and are immediately transported to the laboratory where the eggs:
- are identified and counted,
- are placed in special culture medium whose temperature and chemical composition is similar to the environment within the body,
- are placed in an incubator in order to mature, until the time they are going to be fertilised.
On the day of oocyte retrieval, the husband gives his sperm in a special sterile container. Three to seven days of abstinence are recommended before its collection. The sperm is evaluated for density and mobility, and is prepared for fertilization.